Wednesday, September 1, 2010

What's on my Mind... Fish, Rafa, and Harvesting my own Eggs

Merry Wednesday, yo.

Sam asked me what I was going to blog about today, and I told him, "Stuff that's on my mind."

He paused. And then said, "The World's Shortest Blog!"

In defense of Sam, I've been telling him lately that my brain's hit capacity, and I can't assimilate any new information. 

Nevertheless, here we go. Prepare yourselves for...

The World's Shortest Blog.

1. I appreciated all of your ideas for helping me earn money. My favorite was harvesting and selling my own eggs. 

So, for the low low price of $10,000, this baby could be yours! (Provided you could also get your hands on Barack Obama's... um... stuff.)
BroBak Obamaton

2. I came home from SCBWI in L.A. to find this on our cabinet:

Now, most of you remember our track record with the un-killable beta fish. As they say in baseball, "Three up, Three down!"

Last July, we packed up the aquarium and put it in storage (or as I like to call it, "quarantine") and then I'm gone for 3 days and suddenly Sam thinks to himself, "Hey! I haven't killed a fish lately!"

His name's Sonic, and I told him the same thing I told the other three: "Welcome to the death cave."

And then I showed him our death list:

Chopie.       Lasted 2 months.         Consumption.
Chopester.   Lasted one weekend.   Dysentary.
Chopes.       Lasted 1 month.          The Pox.

But hey. If it makes him feel any better, he at least has a new name.

3. On a side note, my main squeeze Rafa Nadal won his first round match at the U.S. Open. We're off to a great start.
(Rafa, after seeing a picture of what our child could look like)

So, what's on all y'all's mind?

14 comments:

  1. That baby is adorable!!! The hair is awesome. We aint selling that baby. That baby will grow up to President one day - she is our meal ticket.

    Sonic will live a long happy life. We just can't take him on long walks...fish don't do well with that, trust us - we know from experience.

    You have lots on your mind. If you dumped everything that is on your mind into your blog, it would be many many paragraphs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or if we do take Sonic on a walk, we definitely bring a leash.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can take a fish on a walk? Please post pictures!

    Love your presidential potential product...how much for one? Can we specify girl or boy? Is there a deal on twins?

    I don't watch tennis but for you, Brodi, Go Raffi!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Una- I'm not even sure if that picture is a boy or a girl. Vamos Rafa!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love bettas. I miss mine. He died, but you already know that from our fun conversation on Saturday. Sad! Hopefully, Sonic will last a long time, if that's what you want....

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, Sam let Kid C name that fish after his favorite video game character, right? Haha, I've heard third times a charm, maybe fourth time is a double charm!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think if you take the fish on a walk, you need to take his bowl of water too...like putting the bowl of water (with the fish in it) in a wagon. Probably no leash required. But I could be wrong. I've never had much luck with fish either.

    As for what's up with me, I joined a fantasy football league. I have no idea what that actually means, but I'm doing it. Apparently you have to have an even number of teams and the youth group's league had only 7. So I "took one for the team", saved our youth guy's wife from having to sign-up and fielded a team. Our team name: OOAoE (Outside Our Area of Expertise). I don't have any actual players yet (draft is sometime this evening. I don't think I can do better than the prearranged order, so I'm leaving that alone and letting the computer do the heavy lifting for me), but I have fielded a set of announcers. The include Walter Cronkite, the guy who always led "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" during the 7th Inning Stretch at Cubs home games, one of the British Formula One announcers from the late 80's/early 90's (cause they're just so much fun to listen to) and Dan and Casey from the short lived TV show Sports Night doing the onfield interviews and such.
    Our team slogan is: We may have no idea what we're doing, but we have better announcers than you.

    We'll see how this goes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jenni- I'm not sure what I want at this point... to have him live long enough for me to get attached, or to have him die quickly. Stupid fish.

    Lulabell- Don't let Kid C hear you say Sonic's not a real person. Or hedgehog.

    Rue- That team name totally rolls off the tongue doesn't it. Good luck! I would go down in flames.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Will school ever start? I get asked every hour if Kid C is home yet. HELP! One more week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anne- One more week! You can make it! Because, really, what other option do you have?

    That's how I view so many difficult times in parenthood. I'll survive, because are there any other options?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope you had a chance to watch Rafa on Nightline. He was sooo cute! I hope he wins the US Open~!

    On a side note, how do you get a 4 year old to sleep in his own bed??!! He's driving me crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Erin- I did watch the Nightline special on Rafa. He is so cute!

    As for getting a 4-year old to sleep in his own bed, I have no idea. Leave a trail of cookies that ends in his bed? Xanex in a sippy?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on your new fish! A short but true story:

    The kids and I went on vacation for 3 weeks. Upon arriving home I asked the husband, "Did you remember to water the plants?"

    "Yes," he said, looking pleased.

    "And you remembered to feed the fish?" I asked.

    "We have a fish?!"

    ***
    No worries, our little cannibalistic guppy lived a few months longer until the kids decided they'd rather flush her down the toilet than clean the aquarium.

    Such a sweet story.

    ReplyDelete
  14. awww. What a heart tugger! :)

    That is so funny about your hubby: We have a fish?!

    ReplyDelete